Themes of the Week
(in addition to Montessori Work time)
09/29: All About Apples
- Johnny Appleseed
- Life cycle of an apple
- Apple graphing, apple tasting and cooking with apples
Preschool lesson (afternoon) We will be reviewing the letter “Ee” and will learn the ASL sign for “E.” Students will be making different apple crafts.
10/06: On The Farm
- Jobs found on the farm
- Animals found on the farm, categorizing animals into groups
- Food from the farm
- Machinery found on the farm
Preschool lesson (afternoon) We will be reviewing the letter “Ff” and will learn the ASL sign for “F.” Student will be making different farm crafts and learning about farm animals.
10/13: All About the Fall
- Four seasons
- Leaves and chlorophyll, leaf graphing
- Nature walk
- Acorns and squirrels
- History of the scarecrow
Preschool lesson (afternoon) We will be reviewing the letter “Gf” and will learn the ASL sign for “G.” Students will enjoy fun fall crafts.
10/20: All About Pumpkins
- Properties of a pumpkin
- Life cycle of a pumpkin
- Use our 5 senses to observe/communicate about pumpkins. Conduct a buoyancy experiment to discover whether a pumpkin will sink or float in water.
Preschool lesson (afternoon) We will be reviewing the letter “Hh” and will learn the ASL sign for “H.” Studets will be learning all about pumpkins and will enjoy making pumpkin crafts.
10/27: History of Halloween
- History of Halloween
- Halloween themed works, activities and lots of fun!
- Halloween Party Friday, October 31st!
Preschool lesson (afternoon) We will be reviewing the letter “Ii” and will learn the ASL sign for “I.” Students will enjoy Halloween crafts, activities and will even write their own Halloween story.
Letters of the Week: Try to find objects that begin with each letter wherever you go with your child.
Sight Words of the Week: Try to find each word in books as you read to your child.
Things to do at Home this Month to reinforce our themes:
- While reading a book have your child point to all of the letter of the week she/he can find. Have them do this with the sight words as well. Play I‐Spy using things that only start with the letter of the week/ sight words.
- Go apple picking! Cut an apple in half and create apple prints. When you cut an apple, count together to see how many seeds there are. Every day you can create a new apple dish (applesauce, baked apple crisps, apple pie, etc.) Enjoy the Fall!
- Make a collage from pictures in magazines of items you would find on a farm
- Go on a “Fall Walk” together. Talk about what colors you see, the sounds you hear, and what the air smells like. Collect leaves and take them home for leaf rubbings. Go to a pumpkin patch and find a pumpkin together. Guess how many seeds are in‐ side your pumpkin. When you clean out the pumpkin count the seeds together.