What I will learn at school this month October 2015 in Ms. Kate’s Class…
Themes of the Week (in addition to Montessori Work time)
09/28: All About Apples
- Johnny Appleseed
- Life cycle of an apple
- Apple graphing, apple tasting and cooking with apples
10/05: On The Farm
- Jobs found on the farm
- Animals found on the farm, categorizing animals into groups
- Food from the farm
- Machinery found on the farm
10/12: All About the Fall
- Four seasons
- Leaves and chlorophyll, leaf graphing
- Nature walk
- Acorns and squirrels
- History of the scarecrow
10/19: All About Pumpkins
- Properties of a pumpkin
- Life cycle of a pumpkin
- Use our 5 senses to observe/communicate about pumpkins. Conduct a buoyancy experiment to discover whether a pumpkin will sink or float in water.
10/26: History of Halloween
- History of Halloween
- Halloween themed works, activities and lots of fun!
Letters of the Week: Try to find objects that begin with each letter wherever you go with your child.
- 09/30: Dd
- 10/05: Ee
- 10/12: Ff
Rhyming words for the month of October:
- 9/28: ball
- 10/5: book
- 10/12: tree
- 10/19: bug
- 10/26: boo!
Ms. Ame’s afternoon group time
- During this time Ms. Ame will reinforce the calendar, Spanish, weather, letter,and rhyming word everyday. She will also be incorporating fun crafts,lesson,stories,songs,and videos about apples,fall,pumpkins, and the farm. Don’t forget to check your child’s folder to see what fun they are having with her:)
Things to do at Home this Month to reinforce our themes:
- While reading a book have your child point to all of the letter of the week she/he can find. Have them do this with the sight words as well. Play I‐Spy using things that only start with the letter of the week/ sight words.
- Go apple picking! Cut an apple in half and create apple prints. When you cut an apple, count together to see how many seeds there are. Every day you can create a new apple dish (applesauce, baked apple crisps, apple pie, etc.) Enjoy the Fall!
- Make a collage from pictures in magazines of items you would find on a farmGo on a “Fall Walk” together. Talk about what colors you see, the sounds you hear, and what the air smells like. Collect leaves and take them home for a leaf rubbings. Go to a pumpkin patch and find a pumpkin together. Guess how many seeds are in‐ side your pumpkin. When you clean out the pumpkin count the seeds together.