Themes of the Week (in addition to Montessori Work time)
1/5: Ground Rules Review
- Care of The Environment-Rolling a rug, tucking in a chair, etc.
- Grace and Courtesy-How to greet another, how to get a friends attention, how to say please and thank you, etc.
- Reviewing Classroom Rules and Manners
- Friendship Game- The children will guess who’s voice they hear to practice listening.
- Reviewing kind words and phrases.
1/12: Peace Makers
- Maria Montessori-Her life, mission, and how she was a peacemaker.
- Mother Theresa- Her life, mission, and how she was a peacemaker.
- Martin Luther King-His life, mission, and how he was a peacemaker.
- Discussing how we are also able to be peacemakers.
- Dicussing how to build each other up. Introducing a sand sculpture making activities which will teach how to give compliments
1/19: Art Appreciation
- Monday 1/19- NO SCHOOL (MLK Day)
- Painting-Discuss the medium of painting.
- Sculpting-Discuss the medium of sculpting.
- Drawing-Discuss the medium of drawing.
- Photography-Discuss the medium of photography
- Discussing colors and how they are used in different mediums of art.
1/26: The Five Senses
- Learning about our sense of hearing and about the different parts of the ear.
- Learning about our sense of taste and the different parts of the tongue.
- Learning about our sense of touch.
- Learning about our sense of smell. Discussing how our nose functions.
Letters of the Week: Try to find objects that begin with each letter wherever you go with your child.
Sight Words of the Week: Try to find each word in books as you read to your child.
Things to do at Home this Month to reinforce our themes:
- Practice using “Please” and “Thank You” at home with your child, especially at play time or at the dinner table
- Take a trip to the Akron Art Museum or Cleveland Museum of Art as a family. Discuss the colors and the different mediums of art used. The Akron Art Museum has many family activities throughout the year, check out their calendar!
- Discuss with your child who their favorite peace maker is they learned about in class. Discuss with your child how they can be a peace maker at home.