What I will learn at school this month in Mr. John’s Class…
Themes of the Week (in addition to Montessori Work time)
1/04: Review of Ground Rules
- Ringing of the bell, circle walk, line time
- Process of working with a materials, rolling mats, carrying trays & work areas
- Respecting teachers, classmates and the materials
- Grace and Courtesy lessons
1/09: Martin Luther King Jr./ Similarities and Differences
- History of MLK, Rosa Parks.
- Our similarities and differences (eyes, hair, gender and skin color)
- MLK/ Rosa Parks skit
- No School: Friday 1/13-Teacher In Service Day
1/16: Five Senses
- Monday 1/16- NO SCHOOL (MLK Day)
- Introduction to the Senses
- Focus on each Sense throughout the week
- Activities and experiments to support our knowledge of the senses
1/23: Skeletal System
- Arms, Hands and Fingers
- Ribs, Pelvis
- Legs, Feet and Toes
Letters of the Week: Try to find objects that begin with each letter wherever you go with your child.
Rhyming Words of the Week: Try to find each word in books as you read to your child.
1/04: BOB, fob, gob, job, lob, mob, rob
1/11: BUG, dug, hug, jug, mug, tug
1/18: BUN, fun, nun, run, sun
1/25: BUB, cub, hub, pub, rub, sub
Things to do at Home this Month to reinforce our themes:
- Look for our words of the week when reading a story, cut out pictures beginning with the letters of the week.
- Play “I Spy” with items beginning with the letter of the week, or find things around your home that begin with the letter of the week.
- Talk about what makes you the same and different from your child. Do you have the same hair and eye color? If not, where did they get their eye color from?
- Take turns trying to write your name on a piece of paper blindfolded. Wow! We appreciate the sense of sight!
- Quiz your child about the different bones of the body, see if they can point to where their Femur is or tell you what their Phalanges are.