What I will learn at school this month October 2015 in Mr. John’s Class…
Themes of the Week (in addition to Montessori Work time)
- Introduction to reptiles, examples of reptiles
- All reptiles are cold blooded, vertebrates (spine),
- All reptiles have scales, lay eggs with hard shell
- Introduction to amphibians, examples of amphibians
- Amphibians are cold blooded, live on land and water
- All amphibians have soft, moist skin and are vertebrates (spine)
- Introduction to fish, examples of fish
- All fish are cold blooded, live in water, most have scales
- Fish are vertebrates, most have gills and fins
- Introduction to birds, examples of birds
- All birds have feathers and are warm blooded
- All birds are vertebrates, lay eggs with shells, have wings
- Penguins are a birds that can’t fly
Letters of the Week: Try to find objects that begin with each letter wherever you go with your child.
Rhyming Words of the Week: Try to find each word in books as you read to your child.
10/05: BID, did, hid, kid, lid, rid,
10/12: BIT, fit, hit, kit, lit, mit, pit, sit
10/19: BIN, fin, kin, pin, sin, tin, win
10/26: BIP, dip, hip, lip, nip, rip, sip, tip
Things to do at Home this Month to reinforce our themes:
- Look for our words of the week when reading a story, cut out pictures beginning with the letters of the week.
- Play “I Spy” with items beginning with the letter of the week, or find things around your home that begin with the letter of the week.
- Go to the Zoo together, and talk about what each animal is? A Bird, A Mammal, Reptile, Amphibian, or Fish.
- Read a book together about your child’s favorite animal! Is it a Vertebrate or Invertebrate? What are the babies called?