Themes of the Week (in addition to Montessori Work time)
5/04: Food Chains
- 3 and 4 part food chains
- A food chain shows how each living thing gets food, how nutrients and energy are passed from creature to creature
- Food chains begin with plant-life, and end with animal-life. Some animals eat plants, some animals eat other animals.
5/11: Seasons & Weather
- 4 Seasons: Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter
- Characteristics of each Season/ the first day of each Season
5/18: Solar System
- Sun, Earth, Moon, Stars
- Facts on each planet, Asteroids and the Milky Way
- Constellations, Kennedy Space Station
- Different jobs in the community
- Doctors, Mail Carriers, Nurses, Accountants, etc.
- How these workers help us
- Summer safety, water safety
- Fire Fighters, Police Officers
- Calling 911
Letters of the Week: Try to find objects that begin with each letter wherever you go with your child.
Rhyming Words of the Week: Try to find each word in books as you read to your child.
5/04: BIB, dib, fib, rib,
5/11: BIC, kick, lick, nick, pick, nick, sick wick
5/18: BUD, dud, mud,
5/25: BOD, God, mod, nod, sod, Todd, rod,
Things to do at home this month to reinforce our themes:
- Look for our sight words when reading a story, point out words you use that begin with the letter of the week. Cut out pictures beginning with the letters of the week.
- While driving your car, have your child tell you all the items they see that starts with the letter of the week.
- Take a long walk in your park or neighborhood and point out the seasonal changes to your child. Discuss what you did as a child during each season and share some old and new memories with your son or daughter. Make special plans for each season.
- To reinforce our space theme, do some star gazing each night. Have your child pick their favorite, brightest one and share in making a special wish together!