Themes of the Week (in addition to Montessori Work Time)
2/29: Dr. Seuss/ Eric Carle
- The children become familiar with the similarities in an author’s body of work.
- The children will gain an appreciation for the word play and rhyme featured in the work of Dr. Seuss.
- The children will identify, produce and extend patterns.
- The children will identify animals that belong in the insect category and those that do not.
- The children will learn there are over five million different kinds of insects in the world.
- The children will identify the main parts of an insect.
- The children will learn ways insects can be helpful and ways insects can be harmful. Learn more about the to improve your skills.
3/14: Plants and Flowers
- The children will discuss the four elements needed to grow a plant. Soil, seeds, sun and water.
- The children will observe and describe similarities and differences in the appearance and behavior of plants and flowers.
- The children will identify major structures of plants (seeds, roots, stems, leaves).
- The children will understand the life cycle of plants and flowers and what they need to grow.
- The children will discover that plants provide resources for clothing, food, and oxygen.
3/21: Butterflies and Caterpillars
- The children will discover that butterflies go through stages of growth & changes called life cycles.
- The children will design a butterfly of their own using shapes and creativity.
- The children will create a mobile to represent each stage of the Life Cycle of the Butterfly.
3/28-4/1: SPRING BREAK (school resumes Monday 4/4)
Letters of the week
Things to do at home this month to reinforce our themes:
- Talk to your child about their favorite Eric Carle or Dr. Seuss book and why they find that book interesting.
- Visit your local library for a Dr. Seuss or Eric Carle reading.
- Take a walk and see how many insects you can spot.
- Plant a flower or garden.
- Visit the Cleveland Botanical Gardens.
- Take a walk and see how many butterflies and caterpillars you can spot
- Make dinner with foods that start with the letter of the w