Our Academic Enrichment time is daily from 12:00-1:00pm. This time is specifically designed for our Kindergarten students to join together as a group to work and progress through the advanced materials and lessons in the Montessori primary curriculum. Throughout the school day in their classroom they are still working individually with their classroom teacher on these and other materials at their level.
1/05: Introduction to decimals/ columns
- Intro to decimals
- Learning what is and says ( 1, 10, 100, 1000)
1/12: Introduction to 9 Tray/ 45 layout
- Recap of decimal system
- Reinforce by placement and identification of numbers within each decimal place
1/19: Composing Numbers
- Working with 9 tray / 45 layout
- Using single units, 10 bars, 100 square and 1000 cubes
- Reinforce number placement with creation of numbers
- Introduction of addition
- Using single units, 10 bars, 100 squares and 1000 cubes
Sight Words of the Week: Try to find each word in books as you read to your child.
1/05: oil, people
1/12: come, number
1/19: could, who
1/26: now, made
Synonyms of the Week: Try to find each word in books as you read to your child.
1/05: LOUD, noisy, piercing, deafening, booming, crashing, boisterous, raucous
1/12: QUIET, peaceful, mute, calm, silent
1/19: SKINNY, thin, lean, emaciated, scrawny, slender
1/26: FAT, overweight big, bulky, heavy, plump
Things to do at home this month to reinforce our themes:
- Look for our words of the week when reading a story, cut out pictures beginning with the letters of the week.
- Practice using the different synonyms of the week in a sentence together.
- You can view this link to give you more information on how the math materials are used in the Montessori classroom http://www.montessorialbum.com/montessori/index.php?title=Math. You may also google the name of the work to find more videos and information on the purpose of that material.
Mr. John will be sending homework home to reinforce these lessons. Please turn homework into the orange box outside of Mr. John’s classroom. Please email him if you have any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org.