Themes of the week for the months of August and September
8/25 and 8/31: Ground Rules
- Learning to greet others.
- Learning to have conservations.
- Learning to speak to others.
- Learning to listen to others.
- Learning to respond to others.
- Learning to say please and thank you to others.
- Learning to observe others.
- Learning to respectfully interrupt.
- Learning from others.
- Learning to open door for someone else.
- Learning to recognize situations in which to help others.
- Passing in front of another respectfully.
- Learning how to say excuse me.
9/8: Community Helpers
- The students will learn about police officers, fire fighters, mail carriers, soldiers, bakers, farmers, doctors, and teachers throughout the week. They will not only learn about these community helpers; they will also be able to explain in detail why each one is very important to our lives.
9/14: My Family
- The students will illustrate a picture of their family.
- The students will have a discussion on the importance of families to each of us and the students will be able to identify one reason why their family is important to them.
- Create a family tree together (Due Friday September 12th)
- The students learn how to identify, handle, and understand the things they may feel and how to act about them.
Letters of the week
8/25 and 8/31: None
Sight word of the week
8/25 and 8/31: None
Things to do at home this month to reinforce our themes:
- Try to find objects that begin with the letter of the week wherever you go with your child.
- Encourage grace and courtesy when you see your child displaying it to another or you.
- Talk about the importance of 911 and when you should call and practice dialing it.
- Practice dialing your telephone number with your child.
- Start a family tradition by setting a night a week aside for a family movie or game night.
- If your child displays an emotion they are unfamiliar with talk about it and how to handle it together.