Themes of the Week (in addition to Montessori Work time)
4/06: All About North America
- Introduction to the seven continents
- North America: countries, culture, climate
- United States, the flag and it’s history, Christopher Columbus
- South America: countries, climate, culture, landmarks, The Equator, The Andes Mountains
- The Amazon/What is found in the Rainforest (animals, products we use that come from the rainforest)
Afternoon Group Lesson: All about sports and fitness
4/13: Africa and Asia
- Africa: countries, culture, climate and animals! We will also learn about some African cuisine and languages
- Three regions of Africa (Savannah, Desert, Rainforest)
- Nile River, Sahara Desert
- Asia: countries, culture, climate, languages and cuisine. We will cover historical landmarks like the Great Wall of China, and locating natural landmarks like the Himalayan Mountains on a map.
Afternoon Group Lesson: Variety of activities and crafts about the different countries.
4/20: Australia, Antarctica and Oceans
- Antarctica: The Arctic region, animals, landforms and plant life
- Pacific, Atlantic, Indian, Arctic and the Southern Ocean, ocean life
- Australia: Desert, Outback, Rainforest, Great Barrier Reef, culture and climate
- Australian cuisine and language
Afternoon Group Lesson: Having fun learning about the different states of the USA.
4/27: All About Europe
- Different European countries and their culture
- Different climates, landmarks and landforms
- Gondolas, Olympics, Running of the Bulls, Windmills, Eiffel Tower etc.
- Highlight a few languages spoken in these countries. We will learn the days of the week in Italian and common sayings in French (Good Day, Thank You, Good Evening, etc.)
Afternoon Group Lesson: Flags of the world.
For the month of April, we will be concentrating on preparing your child for the international festival and will resume letters and words of the week in May.
Things to do at Home this Month to reinforce our themes:
- While reading a book have your child point to all of the letter of the week she/he can find. Have them do this with the sight words as well. Play I‐Spy using things that only start with the letter of the week/ sight words.
- As a family, come up with a food or dessert that authentic from a different country and make it together.
- Pretend to go on a trip. Place chairs in the middle of the room (as your plane), bring a map! Point to a country and fly there! Talk about the animals you would see, the weather, people and anything else you would see or experience!
- We will be practicing individual lines and songs in class in preparation for the Festival, please practice your line at home too!