Explorations of Elementary 2016 – October Overview
- All students will be discussing the October, November, and December National Holidays. Second, Third, and Fourth Years will research the history of a National Holiday from one of these months to present to the class.
- All students will work together to memorize lines and create costumes to put on a play for our younger friends in Ms. Courtney’s room about life in the Archeozoic Ocean.
- We will take a “Walking Field Trip” to Tallmadge Circle to practice using a compass.
- All students will begin an in-depth study of North America and the layers of the Earth.
- First Years will learn more about the states of water during “The Dance of the Molecules,” and the external characteristics of amphibians.
- Second Years will study how animals satisfy their needs, surface tension, and succulent and dry fruits.
- Third Years will study types of stamen in flowers and the human skeleton.
- Math and Language lessons are presented by individual needs instead of grade level.
- One of our groups will continue reading selections from our Junior Great Books, one group will be reading stories about responsibility, one group will be continuing The Tale of Despereaux, and one group will be continuing The Indian in the Cupboard.
- Within reading group, we will introduce or review how to use a dictionary and thesaurus.
- We will study how to write a paragraph, how to edit a paragraph, the types of ending punctuation, and the types of sentences.
- Student will continue practicing spelling rules within their spelling groups. Students will have short vowel sounds or long vowel sounds and the letter combinations that make them.
- Spelling homework for all students in the month of October:
- Rainbow Write – On handwriting paper, write spelling words 3x each using a different color for each letter in the word. Please have your child use colored pencils.
Field Trips and Special Events
- October 4 – School Picture Day
- October 25 – Fall Box Tops Collection Deadline
- October 28 – Halloween Classroom Party – The Elementary party is students only and in the afternoon. Look for my email with the details soon.
- November 1-4 – Usborne Book Fair