Themes of the Week
(in addition to Montessori Work time)
- Learning ASL family signs.
- Sharing our Family Tree projects.
- Members of our family, family traditions and celebrations.
- Discuss how pets are also part of our families.
- Learning the parts of the Turkey
- Singing songs about Turkeys
- Discuss how the Turkey is a bird, based on the characteristics of birds.
- Discuss why we eat Turkey on Thanksgiving.
- Turkey Crafts and Songs
11/17: Pilgrims and Native Americans
- Who were the Pilgrims? Who were the Native Americans?
- Learning about Pilgrim life.
- Learning about how the Native Americans helped the Pilgrims.
- Working on our costumes for the Thanksgiving
- Working on our center pieces for the Thanksgiving Feast..
11/24: All About Thanksgiving
- Discussing the foods we eat at Thanksgiving.
- Discussing what it means to be thankful.
- Finish preparing our costumes for the the Thanksgiving Feast.
- Finish preparing our centerpieces for the Thanksgiving Feast.
- Singing songs about Thanksgiving
Letters of the Week: Try to find objects that begin with each letter wherever you go with your child.
Sight Words of the Week: Try to find each word in books as you read to your child.
Things to do at Home this Month to reinforce our themes:
- I encourage you to include your child in the preparation of one of the dishes for your Thanksgiving meal. Look up a new recipe and include them in measuring, backing, serving, etc.
- Discuss with your child their favorite family tradition or celebration.
- Include your child in everyday household chores, activities, and errands. Montessori believed that in order for the child to best adapt themselves to their environment, they need to go out and participate in everyday activities in the world around them.
- Discuss with the child what they learned about the first Thanksgiving. Ask them about the foods they learned were served at the first Thanksgiving, and make a comparison to what is on your Thanksgiving table.