Themes of the Week
(in addition to Montessori Work time)
11/3: Body Parts
- The children will be able to identify specific body parts (Heads, Shoulders, Knees & Toes).
- The children will start to develop body awareness.
11/10: Food Groups/Nutrition
- The children will become aware of five food groups (dairy, protein, vegetables, fruits, and grains).
- Categorizing different foods from each food group.
- The children are informed that eating different foods from each food group will help them grow, think, and have energy to play.
- Learning how to recognize different foods from each group.
- The children will sample a variety of healthy foods.
- The children will learn about the tools Pilgrims used long ago.
- The children will learn that life was difficult for the Pilgrims in America and that everyone, including the children, had to work hard.
- The children will learn where the Pilgrims left and where they were headed in America.
- The children will be reading and learning about the very first Thanksgiving.
11/24: What I am thankful for
- The children will learn the meaning of Thanksgiving is to be thankful for families, friends and special things in times we share.
- The children will learn doing things for others is important, and makes us feel good inside.
- The children will learn that we can show thankfulness all the time, not only during holidays.
- The children will learn there are many ways to share.
Letters of the week
Things to do at home this month to reinforce our themes:
- Perform a simple cleanup task for a needy neighbor. It might be as simple as raking leaves from a yard or driveway, or tidying a porch or garage.
- Make Thanksgiving dinner together.
- Make a weekly menu together to place on the refrigerator that is balanced according to the food pyramid.
- Read labels of food together.
- Let your child pack their lunch.
- Do the hokey pokey together.