Themes of the Week
(in addition to Montessori Work time)
11/03: Insects / Arachnids
- Characteristics of insects, examples of insects (invertebrates)
- Antennae, head, thorax, abdomen, six legs (some have wings)
- Characteristics of arachnids, examples of arachnids, 8 legs (invertebrates)
- Afternoon Group Lesson: Fire Safety
- Monday, November 11th NO SCHOOL (Teacher In Service Day for Parent//Teacher Conferences All Day 8am-7pm) Don’t forget to sign up for a conference!
- Naming and Identifying Dinosaurs
- Triceratops, Stegosaurus, Pterodactyl, Brachiosaurus
- Plant eaters(herbivores), Meat eaters (carnivores)
- Where the Dinosaurs lived and how long ago they lived
- Fossils and Extinction
- Afternoon Group Lesson: On the Farm
11/17: Thanksgiving/ Native Americans
- Mayflower, Native Americans
- When the Pilgrims came to America
- Who the Pilgrims were and why they came
- The Mayflower
- Native American shelters, nomadic, settlers
- Afternoon Group Lesson: Pilgrims/The First thanksgiving
- Members of a family, family traditions and holidays
- Family birthdays, vacations
- Family pets
- Afternoon Group Lesson: Thanksgiving Crafts
Letters of the Week: Try to find objects that begin with each letter wherever you go with your child.
Rhyming Words of the Week: Try to find each word in books as you read to your child.
11/03: OX, box, fox, lox, pox, sox
11/10: BOT, cot, dot, got, hot, lot, not, pot, tot
11/17: BOP, cop, hop, mop, pop, top
Things to do at Home this Month to reinforce our themes:
- Look for our words of the week when reading a story, cut out pictures beginning with the letters of the week.
- Play “I Spy” with items beginning with the letter of the week, or find things around your home that begin with the letter of the week.
- Explore your neighborhood. See if you can find any fossil plant prints on rocks in your yard or neighborhood.
- Make fall crafts together to help decorate your family Thanksgiving table.
- Look through family photo albums together and talk about your family. What does each family member do for a job? Where did you grow up? What unique traditions does your family have?