Themes of the Week
(in addition to Montessori Work time)
8/26‐ 09/06 Rules of the Classroom/Respect
- We respect each other
- We try our best/we learn from our mistakes
- We are a team/we celebrate each other’s success
- Tour of the classroom and introductions of materials
- Using the words “please, thank you, excuse me, I’m sorry.” Write a class poem to emphasize the use of polite words.
- Create a kindness quilt to help students think about and how to show acts of kindness.
Preschool Lesson: Craft and Activities to reinforce the Letter A sound. ASL sign for A.Role modeling and practicing classroom rules and safety
- Work on social skills/ how to develop friendship
- What are good qualities in a friend?
- How do friends build community?
- Create together a class web of friendship words
Preschool Lesson (afternoon): Craft and activities to reinforce the letter B sound. ASL sign for B. Learning about friendship and kindness
9/16: All About Me!
- Our similarities and differences
- I’m special because…
- Our Birthdays
- Identifying our emotions
- Starting on Monday Ms. Kate will be sending home a paper bag with each of your children. Please have your child decorate their bag and fill it with three of their favorite things. Please bring back on Friday.
Preschool Lesson (afternoon): Craft and activities to reinforce the letter C. ASL sign for C. What is a family, learning about our families
- What is a family
- Graphing our families/ family celebrations
- Create a family tree together (Due Friday 9/27/13)
Preschool Lesson: Craft and activities to reinforce the letter D. ASL sign for D. Pumpkin themed crafts and activities
Letters of the Week: Try to find objects that begin with each letter wherever you go with your child.
Sight Words of the Week: Try to find each word in books as you read to your child.
Things to do at Home this Month to reinforce our themes:
- While reading a book have your child point to all of the A’s she/he can find. Have them do this with the sight word “the.” Play I‐Spy using things that only start with the letter A.
- Make a collage with pictures and objects that start with the letter B.
- Place words around the house and see if your child can find the word “to.” When your child has gathered all of his/her “to” cards count together how many cards they have found.
- Make a kindness jar. Each day pick an act of kindness out of the jar and act on it:)
- You and your child write a special letter to a friend.