Explorations of Elementary 2016 – December Monthly Overview
Below is an overview of some of the things we will be covering in the classroom over the course of December in additional to individual/small group lessons.
- Our first-year students will be researching Earth and Mars. They will begin researching external characteristics of invertebrates, starting with Protozoans.
- Second year students will research the characteristics that set birds and mammals apart from other vertebrates. They will also research dehiscent and indehiscent fruit. These students will also continue their research of rocks and minerals with a discussion on the rock cycle.
- Students researching the human body will focus on the heart and lungs.
- Our fourth-year students will continue researching early humans.
- All students will review our previous studies of North and South America.
- One of our groups will read leveled readers. One group will read short stories and fables to discuss theme and the moral of stories. The groups reading The Tale of Despereaux and Where the Red Fern Grows will complete those books.
- Within reading group, we will be reviewing Reading Workshop skills in preparation of beginning Writer’s Workshop in January.
- Students will review all previous spelling words and will be reassessed. New spelling groups and words will begin in January.
Field Trips and Special Events
- December 14: Christmas Show Rehearsal
- December 16: Christmas Show
- December 21: Pajama Party – Lunch will be provided. We won the Box Tops contest and will have pizza and sides provided for all students. We will bake cookies together, as well.