Our Academic Enrichment time is daily from 12:00-1:00pm. This time is specifically designed for our Kindergarten students to join together as a group to work and progress through the advanced materials and lessons in the Montessori primary curriculum with Mr. John. Ms. Kristen begins this group time with additional handwriting and journaling lessons. Throughout the school day in their classroom they are still working individually with their classroom teacher on these and other materials at their level.
Junior Great Books Reading Group
Junior Great Books is a foundational reading program that introduces students to a variety of literary genres, while teaching critical thinking and comprehension skills. Our Kindergarten students meet twice a week as a small reading group. During this time, they listen to a story being read to them and take turns reading the story aloud. Students pause during readings to think critically about the story, identify the different parts of the story, such as the characters and main ideas, make predictions about what might happen next, and learn new vocabulary words, using the context to understand the meaning. Each week your child’s reading group teacher will email information about the current story.
10/31: Telling Time to the minute
- Review previous lessons on telling time
- Introduction to the minute
- Flashcards, Clock & Worksheets
11/07: Currency/ Coins
- Monday 11/11 NO SCHOOL/ Teacher In Service Day (Parent//Teacher Conferences All Day 8am-7pm)
- Introduction to coins (pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters)
- Identifying coins and amounts
- Working with coins and worksheets
11/14: Currency/ paper
- Introduction to dollar bills
- Identifying dollar bills
- Working with money and worksheets
11/21: Parts of Animals (Intro)
- Harvest Parties 11/22/16
- Wednesday/Thursday/Friday NO SCHOOL—Enjoy your Thanksgiving Holiday!
Sight Words of the Week: Try to find each word in books as you read to your child.
10/31: how, each
11/07: said, by
11/14: been, down
Synonyms of the Week: Try to find each word in books as you read to your child.
10/31: OLD, ancient, elderly, used, seasoned, mature
11/07: BIG, vast, gigantic, huge, large, enormous, colossal
11/14: SMALL, tiny, miniature, minute, little, petite,
Things to do at home this month to reinforce our themes:
- Look for our words of the week when reading a story, cut out pictures beginning with the letters of the week.
- Practice telling time on the clock at home. When you sit down to dinner, ask them to tell you what time it is, when they go to bed, have them check the clock. Have fun with Time!
- Practice exchanging money with your child. When you go to the store, have them help you pay!
Mr. John will be sending homework home to reinforce these lessons. Please turn homework into the bluegreen box outside of Mr. John’s classroom. Please email him if you have any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org.